Pages

Monday 7 July 2014

ROSELLE PLANT PRODUCTION




ROSELLE PLANT (Hibiscus sabdariffa)
By Hellen Omondi
Introduction
The roselle plant is a member of the hibiscus family, Malvaceae often referred to as "Ribena plant”. The shrub can grow up to 2.25m high and produces white to yellow flowers which sit on a stout fleshy red coloured calyx. In Kenya, it is an emerging herbal crop of economic importance the herb and is mainly grown in Western and Nyanza regions. It is produced without the use of chemical fertilizers and insecticides.
  • Roselle is mainly grown mainly for the calyx which is high in Vitamin C and dietary fibre. They are also a useful source of calcium, iron, vitamins B2 and B3.
  • The drink possesses anti-hypertensive, diuretic and mild laxative properties, and contains abundant amounts of natural antioxidants such as vitamin C and anthocyanins.
Uses in Kenya
·         The calyx is used to prepare herbal drinks, beverages, jams and jellies, paste, sweets, syrup, ice cream, flavouring and for wine preparation; its manufacturing residues can also produce vinegar of very good quality.
    Roselle plant
  • The young leaves and tender stems of roselle are eaten raw in salads or cooked as vegetables alone or in combination with other vegetables, meat or fish. They are also added to curries as seasoning.
Other uses
  • Roselle seeds contain 17% oil. The seed oil is used in soap and cosmetics industries. In addition, the seed oil is extracted and used for cooking and as an ingredient in paints
·         The plant can also be used as an alternative cut-flower material for flower arrangements, after the removal of its leaves.
·         The stems of the roselle plant also produce fibre that can be used as a substitute for jute in making bugs
·         The seeds are roasted as snacks or ground into meal to make cakes.
Prospects for Roselle In Kenya
Roselle is multipurpose crop which can provide food and cash income as a vegetables and processing of domestic and industrial products. Dried calyces have high market potential for both export and local market. Demand for roselle products is likely to increase as a result of the rising interest in natural herbal products that are caffeine free like the roselle tea. Currently, Malaysia supplies much of the Roselle raw material globally. In Kenya the herbal tea and beverage are sold in the super markets and other shops with specialized herbal products.
Variety
There are two main types of cultivated roselle
  1. Sabdariffa with a bushy, strongly branching habit
  2. Altissima Wester with taller, usually unbranched habit. This variety is grown for its fibre, and not common in Africa.
Ecological Requirements
Altitude
An altitude 900 m above sea level is suitable for production
Rainfall
Annual rainfall between 400 -500 mm is required throughout the growing season. Heavy rains or high humidity during the harvest time and drying can downgrade the quality of the calyces and reduce the yield.
Temperature
The temperature range within which the plant performs well is between 18 -35ºC, with an optimum of 25ºC. Growth of the plant ceases at 14ºC.
Soil
Roselle plants prefer well-drained, fertile soils with high organic matter and pH of 4.5 - 8.0. Plants can tolerate floods and heavy winds.
Photoperiod
Roselle is a short-day plant that is very sensitive to the photoperiod. In the first 4-5 months of its growth, Roselle requires a daily light phase of 13hours. Flowers do not develop if there is more than 13 hours of sunlight in a day, while flowering is excellent when daylight is shorter than 12 hours.
Planning Production
  • Ensure the area meets the production requirements
  • Get clean seeds from a recommended source
  • Plan for marketing of the produce. The dried calyx is sold to companies that make Herbal products: herbal teas, fruit based products: beverages, soft drinks, jam and wines.
Propagation and production systems
  • The roselle plant can easily be raised from seeds or stem-cuttings. The seeds germinate easily so can be planted directly in the field
  • Seedlings can also be raised in the nursery, and transplant into the field after about 4 weeks.
  • Plant can be planted outdoors on the ground or in containers as long as the plant receives direct sunshine for at least 6 hours daily.
  • It is also grown as a hedge crop, or intercropped with other crops.
  • Commercially it is grown as a pure stand crop. Roselle is can be intercropped with other crops such as pearl millet, sorghum, groundnut, sweet potato and cowpea.
Land Preparation
Roselle is a deep rooted crop and hence it requires deep ploughing.
Seeds rate is 6-8 kg/ha and.
Planting
Direct planting is done in the field at beginning of rainy season. Plant 2 seeds per hole at about 2.5 cm depth
Spacing
The spacing of 80–100 cm within the rows and 60–80 cm apart between the plants is recommended.
Manure
Manure -500-1000kgs per acre can be applied during planting
Weeding
Timely weeding should be done to reduce pest damage and competition with the plants
Diseases and Pests
Major diseases of hibiscus are stem rot and root rot. Prevention techniques include monitoring the water content in an irrigated field, and avoiding the planting of other crops that are also prone to these diseases. Insect damage is minor; pests include stem borer, flea beetles, cotton bollworm and cutworm. Mealy bugs and leafhoppers are minor concerns, as is the cotton stainer. Use of natural enemies is recommended.
 Harvesting
·         The calyces are ready for harvesting 20 days after flowering. The inner seedpod should be still green when fruit is picked, although fruit can remain on the plant until the pods mature and seeds disperse.
Harvesting method
·         Calyces are harvested manually 2–3 weeks after flowering, usually 4–6 months after sowing, before the fruit has dried and opened up. Regular picking prolongs flowering.
·         Young shoots and leaves are harvested when required.
·         The calyx is separated from the seed pod by hand, or by pushing a sharp edged metal tool through the fleshy tissue of the calyx separating it from the seed pod. Care should be taken during harvesting to avoid contamination by extraneous material.
·         The more time the capsule remains on the plant after the seeds begin to ripen, the more susceptible the calyx is to sores, sun cracking, and general deterioration in quality.
(When harvested for fibre, stems are cut before flowering, 4–5 months after planting.  Fibre quality declines rapidly after the start of flowering).
Yield
·         Fresh calyx yields range from 4–6.5 t/ha, or about 800–1200 kg/ha when dried to 12% moisture content.
·         A single roselle plant may yield as many as 250 calyces, or 1–1.5 kg fresh weight depending on environmental conditions and management.
·         Yield for leaves, is about 10 t/ha.
Drying
Roselle withers rapidly when fresh and hence cannot be kept for long time or exported over long distances. In Kenya roselle calyces are air dried prior to marketing. It is recommended to dry in the shade with adequate ventilation since drying in the sun can lead to reduced quality.
Plastic sheets are placed on the ground to avoid contamination with soil, which also strongly reduces the value.
If heat drying methods are used, care must be taken so that the temperature does not exceed 430C. High temperatures degrade the phyto-chemicals
Challenges in production
  • The price is determined by quality of calyx hence care should be taken during harvesting and when drying the calyces to avoid contamination by extraneous material.
  • Intensive labour is required for harvesting which increases the total cost of production.
Advice to growers
  • Roselle can be grown as a supplementary crop on the farm to boost income; it is drought tolerant and requires minimal attention and inputs once established.
  • Farmers are advised to grow and market the produce collectively in order to get better prices.
  • Value addition of the produce at farm level is also encouraged in order to get high returns.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks the information was very useful. Do you have contacts of seed/seedling suppliers?

Unknown said...

Emson

Suntran Matthew said...

I am here to give my testimony about Dr Ebhota who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by salami, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Ehbota cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from Dr Ebhota healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like
(1) CANCER,
(2) DIABETES,
(3) HIV&AIDS,
(4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
(5) CANCER,
(6) IMPOTENCE,
(7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
(8) DIARRHEA
(9) ASTHMA
(10)SIMPLEX HERPES AND GENITAL
(11)COLD SORE
HERPES. he also cure my friend from cervical cancer Email: drebhotasoultion@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348089535482

Emmanuel nyange said...

I am interested and thanks for the teachings
About seeds I have good seeds
+255 768 118 112

Henry Walter said...

Herpes is a bad and deadly diseases that need to be cured no matter what it take,
If you a paticence of this disease you will know what I'm talking about,
I was cured of herpes by Dr Oseghale by his Herbal medicine , I know fully well that you will be cured too
contact him now via WhatsApp :+2347062814871, or Email: oseghalesunday07@gmail.com
CANCER
EPILEPSY.
GENPILENCIN.
HIV AIDS.
COPD
DIABETICS
STROKE.
EXPANDS OF PENIS BREAST
H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS.
HERPES.
SYPHILIS.
HEPATITIS A B and C.
email oseghalesunday07@gmail . com

Adams Joan said...

I was diagnosed of herpes virus in 2015, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Onokun  who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Hsv), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 2 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure.
Via Email : Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

Unknown said...

hi, i have had this great interest in farming hibiscus for quite some time and I'm grateful for the information. i have a trusted source of the seeds. i'd like to know how viable such a business of supplying packaged dried hibiscus calyces in kenya is. please contact me on sharlnjeri3@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had hpv about 1 yr and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got hpv cure from Dr onokun and I email Dr Onokun 3 days passed, I purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured. I went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative. contact him on email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

Logan Bate said...

DR AGBOMIAN herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes simplex virus cure. My name is LOGAN BATE, am from USA,I am here to give my testimony about DR AGBOMIAN who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by DR AGBOMIAN , i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Familiar, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how DR AGBOMIAN cured them, when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problem, my HERPES result came out negative, I pray to God to never let me and my family forget you in our life, am now cured permanently, you can also get your self cured my friends if you really need this doctor help, you can reach him on his Email: Dragbomianherbalcured77@gmail.com or via whatsapp +2347040843115

Caroline Parra said...

I’m very excited to inform everyone that I’m completely cured from HSV1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it’s really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from HSV1&2 with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist called Dr AGBOMIAN and it completely fought the virus away my nervous system and I tested negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I’m here to let everyone know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr AGBOMIAN and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: Dragbomianherbalcured77@gmail.com or WhatsApp him at +2347040843115

Jayantha ranaweera. said...

I am Jayantha Ranaweera from sri lanka
and so interesting growing rosella. I have two farms in sri lanka.as soon as
I open my Rosella industry, in srilanka.

Jayantha ranaweera. said...

Thanks for your infomation. I am srilanka. and I have two farms of rosella. I started 2017.as soon as I start my rosella industry in my country. Bye.

Dominion Elliott said...

Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr odoma cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr odoma the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348100649947 or email:drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com    i explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr odoma that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com?. or WHATSAPP +2348100649947

Unknown said...

Also interested but don't know where to sell the produce

Unknown said...

Enter your comment...0716020861 am selling the plant soon beware

Unknown said...

I have been buying the tea and since I have ample land that meets the necessary conditions, where can I get certified seeds? I live in Kiambu.

Maurice said...

Anyone who need Roselle seed Contact +254714326588